Thanksgiving 2010.1

Thanksgiving arrived in two parts this year. On Thanksgiving Day itself, NS and I joined others from the good old US of A (and a few stealthy non-Americans) for turkey, ham, stuffing, and all the delicious accoutrements. It was odd working that whole day - and working the whole next day - yet still eating more than our fair share on a Thursday night. But I'm not one to turn down a holiday feast.

Here are some pictures from the evening (mostly centered around what we ate):

This is D (a non-American from church) hand-whipping heavy cream for a dessert he made. Impressed? You better believe it.


One of two turkeys. The guest list at this event was about 20 people deep. I already had 24 people confirmed for my Thanksgiving-with-the-Foreigners party (future post). This is where I started to worry that I wouldn't have enough meat on my one turkey...

But doesn't this look delicious?!


Boys strategizing the butchering. Note: Our hosts were two bachelors, and they did a phenomenal job on dinner.


D still whipping. I have never been able to harness the patience he displayed.


Food lineup. I took it easy and made the salad. Other (more popular) dishes are in the blur.


Oh! A team player! BK takes on the cream.


BK and supervisor
Finally! We have stiff peaks, which D added it to his banoffee pie (sans bananas). This is a traditional English banana/toffee dessert (equally delicious without the bananas). I loved it.


Perfectly roasted turkey
As people were chatting and eating, I snuck around and snapped a few photos, just to capture the pseudo-family that had gathered for the evening. Like most people I've met on the island, the group was warm, friendly, and inviting. It didn't replace being at Grandma's cabin, but it helped to uphold an age-long tradition in a new way.  


But can a tradition be flexible? Does that defy what a tradition truly means? 

I think this is tradition: Gathering with friends (no matter how new), sharing a meal, discussing interests, laughing together, supporting each other. Lest I be concerned that 26 years of tradition flew out the window the moment I boarded the plane for Grand Cayman, I am comforted in knowing that the heart and soul of tradition are still alive here in our new home. The faces may have changed; the food may have changed; the weather has definitely changed. But the meaning is the same. We're happy, we're healthy, and we're thankful.


More on traditions, food, and thankfulness in Thanksgiving, Part II: With the Foreigners!

0 comments:

Post a Comment